New Hurricanes assistant coach Carlos Spencer could not think of a better venue for his first game with his new club than his old home town of Levin.
The Hurricanes will host the defending champion Crusaders in the Investec Super Rugby pre-season match at Levin Domain in little over a fortnight on Saturday, February 2.
While the All Blacks will not be playing in the match for the Hurricanes they will still be at the ground and available to interact with their fans.
Spencer, who was born in Levin and schooled at Waiopehu College, took up his new role with the Hurricanes late last year.
While he has overseas experience coaching in South Africa and most recently in Japan, the former All Blacks playmaker will be making his New Zealand coaching debut at the Levin Domain.
“It’s funny how some things work out in the fact my first gig involved in coaching a New Zealand side in Super Rugby will be at the domain where I spent so much time as a kid,” he said.
“I’m really looking forward to getting back there for the day with this team and showing a lot of friends and family what we are about.”
The pre-season match will be the first time the Hurricanes have played at Levin for five years, a venue where they traditionally receive great support.
Spencer believed that would be repeated on the first Saturday of February when two of Super Rugby’s best sides have their first public hit out of 2019.
“The coaching group are really keen to see the work we have done with the squad so far transferred out on the field to see how we are progressing and there will be no better opposition to do that against than the Crusaders,” he said.
- Tickets available by clicking HERE or from the HKRFU office in Levin
- Adults $15 Kids $5 – early purchase recommended to avoid disappointment / to avoid queues at the gate
- Team signing session will take place following the match
- Kick off 3pm, gates open at 1pm
- Arrive nice and early to meet the non-playing players and to receive your Hurricanes flag
- Purchase a child ticket before 5pm, Friday 25, to go in the draw to have your child run the ball out for the match and receive a Hurricanes replica jersey