Reporting to the CEO, you will be known for your positive attitude, strong business network and for building mutually rewarding commercial partnerships. Success will be measured by growing revenues and maximising profit, whilst offering more value to our partners.
The successful candidate will be a gifted negotiator with proven ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment. You will work closely with the CEO to identify new revenue streams and opportunities for growth.
You will have a can-do attitude and at least 5 years proven commercial experience, preferably gained within the sport or entertainment industry.
Key responsibilities include:
- Business Development / Sponsorship
- Key Account Management
Please send your CV by email to Avan Lee, Hurricanes CEO, at email@example.com by Friday March 23rd at 5pm. Please state your salary expectations.
To maximise the long term value (financial and other measures) of commercial partnerships for the Hurricances.
To lead and manage the direction and work outputs of the Commercial team covering sales, event delivery, and relationship management.
To lead and manage all commercial activity for the Hurricanes including maximising returns from Game, Event, Merchandising and other opportunities.
Reports to: Chief Executive, Hurricanes
Internal Relationships: Marketing & Communications staff
Hurricanes staff, players and management
External Relationships: WRFU / NZR staff
Service and professional providers
Direct Reports: 2-3 (plus contractors)
- To lead and manage the Commercial Team successfully.
- To contribute to the Hurricanes development of strategies and business plans.
- To provide partnership expertise and advice to the Chief Executive & Board
- Through innovation, identify new revenue streams including digital and international opportunities.
- Team members will be motivated, professional and successful in achieving targets and supporting the wider organisational team.
- CEO satisfied with contribution
- Partnership management policies, strategies and systems documented and working to the satisfaction of internal/external stakeholders.
- Advice is proactive, commercially sound, timely, and challenging where appropriate.
- Achieve or exceed all partnership targets
- Lead the development and implementation of the strategy and direction for the partnership portfolio for the Hurricanes.
- Build and maintain a suite of partnership properties that maximise the revenue and profit opportunities.
- Build and maintain research data and a comprehensive potential partnerslist.
- Build and maintain partnership proposal resources and collateral at the highest standard.
- To manage the preparation and presentation of partnership reports.
- To ensure appropriate procedures and practices are in place to effectively manage partnership aspects of the organisation.
- Work with the CEO to investigate new revenue streams in NZ and globally.
- Revenue and net contribution targets met.
- Clearly articulated partnership strategy, with a practical implementation and evaluation plan.
- Hurricanes properties are clearly identifiable, distinct, and meet the needs of different partner segments as evidenced by sell through, tenure and achievement of targets.
- A level of proposal activity and successful acquisition is maintained, revenue targets achieved.
- Collateral exists and is compelling, current, accurate and aligns with the suite of partnership properties.
- Accurate, informative and timely reports produced according to internal and partner requirements including compelling partnership reviews.
- Procedures and practices identify expectations, outcomes, budget and variances.
- Effective policies adopted concerning partnership.
- To establish and maintain very good working relationships with the partner company’s key representatives.
- Work with Marketing and Finance to ensure appropriate monitoring of all partnered product and agreements.
- Account manage all Tier 1 partnersdirectly and successfully.
- Meet with partnersregularly and share leverage and progress information.
- No significant issues raised by partners, positive feedback received.
- All partnership and product activites meet the expected performance targets.
- Tier 1 partnersgive great feedback informally, in annual reviews and renew partnerships where financially able.
- Partner engagement high and reviews positive on value delivered by the Hurricanes from the partnership.
- Plan and deliver events to meet partnership obligations.
- Ensure all events involving partners or commercial activities are well run and exceed partner expectations.
- Ensure all commercial obligations are met
- Coordination of all partner linked or branded communications.
- Ensure superior planning and coordination of partnership responsibilities on Game Day
- All contracted partner event outcomes achieved.
- Events are well run and rated as successful and meet financial, marketing, partnership, and customer experience objectives.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Chief Executive and Board.
- Effective delegation to direct reports so they take full responsibility for achieving their own accountabilities.
- Setting standards and agreeing accountabilities for direct reports so that they know and commit to achieving the goals set for them in their position.
- Monitoring results and giving feedback to direct reports on the achievement of their key accountabilities.
- CEO and Boards express confidence in accuracy and timeliness of partnership advice and reports.
- Key accountabilities and performance targets are set up for each direct report.
- Direct reporting personnel sign Key Accountabilities to endorse understanding of and commitment to their work; performance meetings held on time.
- Constructive feedback offered and development opportunities identified and implemented.
- Participate in any projects as required.
- Project contribution commitments are met.
- Maximise the opportunities for staff to actively. develop the competencies required by the Hurricanes and to increase their contribution and worth.
- Carry out effective performance and remuneration reviews for direct reports.
- Comply with HR systems and processes.
- Ensure development plans for all staff are produced and appropriate opportunities identified.
- Performance and remuneration reviews scheduled and carried out.
- All HR obgliations met.
- Analytical/Problem Solving Skills – Logically think through issues and analyse problems in a structured manner.
- Flexibility and Adaptability – Ability to respond appropriately to different situations, people and ideas.
- Action Orientation – Directing energies and efforts and taking action.
- Commercial and Business Acumen – Keen awareness of business opportunities and the ability to maximise both short term and long term profit gain.
- Communication Skills – Willingness to communicate. The quality of presentation of ideas, thoughts and arguments to both individuals and groups.
- Co-operation and Participation – Willingness to work helpfully with others and to share in activities.
- Decision Making and Judgement – Balanced style. Determines the facts, evaluates information, forms a judgement and decides a course of action. Makes decisions when necessary using past experience to aid judgement.
- Interpersonal Skills – Dealing with people, awareness and sensitivity to others.
- Performance Management Orientation – Oriented towards personal and team accountability and reward for performance.
- Personal Initiative – Taking action outside defined parameters. Using ideas unprompted to take action.
- Planning and Organising Skills – Plans in advance, sets targets, schedules and marshals resources.
- Quality Orientation – Oriented towards achieving and maintaining standards of work to meet customer needs and requirements.
- Tactical Planning – A specific scheme to achieve a short-term aim or task.
- Team Building Skills – Selecting and developing teams to achieve objectives. Building work-group cohesiveness and commitment.
- Tenacity and Determination – Following through and sticking at a task until it is completed.
- Strong sales and negotiation skills
- Ability to instil confidence and maintain credibility with corporate representatives
- Significant experience and skill in partnership strategy, sales and management
- Broad commercial and business knowledge and nous
- Ideally a commercial or marketing related qualification
- Project management skills
- Verbal/Numerical ability: Above average numerically
- Affinity for sport / entertainment.